Saturday, July 16, 2011

Another Dream

I dreamed that I stood in front of my door, and on the other side I could hear the chain rattling and breaking apart. I heard a thud! as the padlock fell against the carpet. And then my hand, acting on its own, reached out and opened my door.

I stepped out into the apartment, and my legs carried me to Jess' room. I stood there, my eyes unblinking, my neck stiff as stone, watching.

Thousands of bugs from hundreds of species crawled about the walls and floor. They crawled up her bed in a grotesque mob, a sea of limbs and carapaces. They crawled into her ears, her mouth... Every opening they could find, they entered, and she slept soundly through it all.

I tried to turn away, but my body refused. I tried to close my eyes, but my eyelids wouldn't move.

I stood there for what seemed like an eternity, watching as this swarm crawled all over, all in, her body. And finally I felt myself turn around.

She was there. The woman with the wooden mask. Her painted-on smile and her painted-on eyes took me in. I felt my knees bend, and suddenly I was kneeling before her.

I woke up on the couch. The chain that was on my door is gone. Jess doesn't even remember putting it on. She seems fine...

I'm not sure how much of it was a dream, and how much...

No comments:

Post a Comment